- Job Title
- Local Area Manager
- Williston, ND
- Full Time
- Open Until Filled
- Job Description
- Job Summary: The Local Area Manager will supervise all Outside Plant responsible for the Installation, Repair, and Construction of Outside Plant Facilities within the assigned Serving Area. The Local Area Manager will have such supervisory authority as is delegated by the Outside Plant Manager. The Local Area Manager will provide efficient service in construction, operation, replacement, removal, and maintenance work on telephone aerial plant, buried plant, equipment and will assist in the development of training and other programs that will ensure an understanding of RUS specifications, other guides, and all safety rules and procedures.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Direct the activities of assigned plant personnel and makes certain that all responsibilities, authorities, and reporting relationships are understood, accepted, and reflected in operating results.
• Subject to delegation of authority by the Plant Operations Manager, makes periodic performance appraisals, determines wage and salary adjustments and develops training programs. Coaches and counsels employees with the aim of furthering employee growth and development and through personal example sets high leadership and performance standards.
• Provides individual instruction and training to subordinates concerning construction, maintenance, service, and repair activities. Provides instruction on receipt, storage, issuance, and appropriate record-keeping activities for line materials, supplies, spare parts, tools, and test equipment.
• Holds frequent meetings with department employees to determine problems, attitudes, and needs that exist within the department.
• Assembles information to be used in applications for loan funds, when directed. Assists in assembling specifications for purchase of equipment.
• Responsible for the operation and maintenance of all outside plant cable and equipment within the assigned service area.
• Responsible for the Installation and Maintenance of Wireline and Wireless services within the assigned service area.
• Responsible for managing the Union relationship at the local level.
• Keeps informed on technical developments through study of literature, attendance at appropriate meetings and research. Interprets specifications, blueprints, and staking sheets for personnel.
• Assists Engineering and Planning personnel in determining when major system improvements should be made and provides input as needed.
• Studies and reviews terms and conditions of service as prescribed in tariff agreements, service rules and regulations, system by-laws, REA drawing, safety rules, and publications.
• Makes frequent field checks on work in progress to assure adherence to established standards, practices, and safety requirements.
• Develops and maintains a system of continuing preventative maintenance.
• Develops and maintains a system of trouble reporting for repair service so that service can be restored as quickly as possible.
• Develops advance plans of action for emergencies and coordinates plant personnel activities in the event of an emergency.
• Assists the Plant Operations Manager in scheduling new service work, changes in existing services when construction is required, COE installations, and in all operations affecting subscribers from the viewpoint of public relations.
• Develops and maintains scheduling and procedures for repair of station apparatus.
• Schedules special subscriber systems installations.
• Develops and maintains a continuing system of records for reference and analysis, including Outside Plant and COE trouble reports and logs, reports on condition of plant, and any other reporting procedure necessary to be aware at all times of current conditions in every area of plant.
• Works closely with Customer Care Representatives and keeps them informed of any problems with customers so they can work with them.
- Experience Required
- Additional Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as required to fulfill job function or as assigned by the Plant Operations Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Must have working knowledge of all materials and equipment in department.
• Must be able to prepare and submit budget recommendations, justify personnel requirements.
• Must have full knowledge of the RUS specifications manual.
• Must be able to draw, read, and understand staking sheets, maps and circuit diagrams.
• Must be capable of attaining full concept of total plant operations.
• Proficient in telephone plant construction, cable splicing, and cable fault locating.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to interact with internal departments, vendors, and customers.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Maintain confidentiality of Cooperative records when required.
• Obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license, having a good driving record and be insured under the Company’s insurance policy.
• A.A.S or Vocational Degree in Electronics or Telecommunications and/or seven-to-ten years experience in telephone plant. Cooperative experience a plus.
Experience (seven-to-ten years)
• Outside Plant Construction (Aerial/Buried)
• Digital Loop Carrier Systems
• Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexers
• Circuit Installation and Repair
• Fiber Optic Equipment & Splicing
• Data Networking
• Wireless Services
• Electronic Switch Systems
• Ancillary Support Systems (Standby Power, HVAC, Batteries)
• Sits, walks, and stands intermittently during working day.
• Must be able to perform all duties of department personnel.
• May be called upon to work in any kind of weather.
• Fully accountable for activities of the department.
• Able to meet and work with employees and the public.
• Willing to train employees in specialized skills as necessary.
• Able to supervise others effectively.
• Considerable judgment required.
• Works under nominal supervision where standard procedures are generally available.
• May require irregular hours.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; an employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by immediate supervisor and other management as required. Nemont reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Human Resources Manager
Telephone: (406) 783-2200, (800) 636-6680
Fax: (406) 783-5636
Or mail your resume to:
PO Box 600
Scobey, MT 59263-0600
As a condition of employment, all finalists will be required to sign a reference release and be subject to a background check that may include but is not limited to criminal history record information.
Equal Opportunity Employer